Friday, September 4, 2009

Windows 7 x64, Toad, Oracle 11g ODAC

After too much time and frustration, I finally got Toad (version and Oracle Data Access Components to work on Windows 7 Professional x64.

For hours Toad wouldn't even acknowledge that an Oracle client was installed. I tried the 11g x86, Instant Client, 10g Oracle x64, finally Oracle 11g ODAC and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio AKA started to work. At one point while trying to get Instant Client to work I manually set the ORACLE_HOME, TNS_ADMIN, and PATH environment variables. I don't know if that had any effect on my success. I'm too scared to remove them to find out considering the fragility of the Toad / Oracle client interaction. For now I'm just happy that my Dell Latitude E6500 can play any role other than netbook.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!

    I was struggling for a few hours going through the different clients and hadn't found the one you mentioned yet. BTW, I did work without setting the env variables.